Weigh In Wednesday Week #11 – Body Image

Welcome to Weigh~In Wednesday! If you are new, WELCOME!!!
Each week we “weigh~in” on how we have been doing on our goals {body, mind, and soul}.
We focus not just on our bodies through healthy eating and exercise,
but also goals to engage our minds and to influence our souls in our Christian Faith Walk.
You can share in the comments below AND Bloggers you can LinkUp your posts below.

Yesterday I shared { this article } in our Weigh-In Wednesday FaceBook Group.  I don’t believe any other article/topic has led to such great discussion in the group as this did.  It became immediately apparent how passionate we are about body image…. as well the importance of passing on healthy body image to our young girls.

beach

As I rapidly approach 40, I’ve had several chats with GirlFriends about the difference this generation/era faces as women age.  It feels less and less acceptable to wrinkle, sag, or gain.  And while that is good one one hand, it can lead to challenges on the other.

Last year at this time I weighed nearly 25 pounds less than I do today and I wore a size 3-4 sizes smaller than I wear today.  That’s because I was able to workout HARD.  I was running 25 -30 miles a week, taking exercise classes, and doing weights.  That level of workout required me to stay super focused on my eating.  I ate 99% of the time with a view of food as fuel.

I looked and felt good about my size.  I was very healthy.  And I was also very prideful.  It felt good to shop for clothes and ask for my small size.

Today, my back hurts.  At the moment it hurts very bad.

It started last August with the inability to stand up straight for two weeks which led to an MRI that revealed disc issues.  That revelation brought my hard workouts, my workouts in general, to an abrupt STOP.

A little over a month ago, my back had been feeling pretty good.  I started working out with a friend at a gym.  I was walking regularly.  And then it happened.  I wanted my running back.  I wanted that feeling.  And I wanted back that body shape.  So I decided to give it a try…..  I went out and to my amazement I turned out 3 miles (after having not run in over a year) at about a 10 or 10:30 clip.  It felt A M A Z I N G.  I set my sights on the goal and ran again, and again, again.  By about the 3rd time out I could feel my back’s warning.  After the 4th time I knew I had done damage.  And so I sit today VERY sore.

As crazy as it sounds, I’m actually grateful for this little experiment of mine with running.  I’ve done a lot of soul searching.  And while I for sure miss actually running — blasting worship music, striving to beat my last best time, the feeling of my feet hitting the pavement, the wind in my face, and the feeling when you’ve pushed your body to a new limit —- I’m not sure that was my main motivator last month.  I think I didn’t want to accept that 40 for me may look a lot fuller than 38 did.  Or accept that my size of clothing may never get smaller.  Or accept that I may not be able to workout hard….

kim beach2

So today, after wrestling my thoughts out….  and talking about it with my friends and my man….  I can honestly say that I am ok with my size.  I definitely have some weight to lose and will work to do that through healthy eating and exercise.  But…

If this is the size I stay, then ~> OK.  This is who I am.  I am incredibly grateful for the ability to walk (when so many do not have that opportunity due to disease or ailments) and to exercise in whatever ways I can.  I am incredibly blessed to have a husband who DAILY tells me how beautiful I am….  and means it.  And I am richly responsible to pass on a healthy body image to my daughter….  so that she sees in me how to live a life KNOWING who she is in her Lord Jesus Christ, knowing that she is not defined as beautiful because of a number on a scale or a size on a clothing tag….  but by the beauty that is found in her living her life following Him for whom she was created…..  receiving His love and then sharing it and being a light for Him.

kimbeach

Now, it’s YOUR turn!

Please remember to link back to http://JustForClicksBlog.com
OR just grab the WIW button code above and add to your post!
What to Link?
Focusing on BODY, MIND, and Soul…
Your story, struggles and successes, healthy recipes, tips & tricks, etc.
Don’t blog?
Join us by sharing your Weigh~In via the comments!
Looking for encouragement and accountability throughout the week?
We are 85 women strong!
Let’s connect!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

You are beautiful Kim! We are on the same page today in our Weigh-In Wednesday posts, that’s for sure. The conversation in our Facebook group caused me to think much about this too. I’m 20 years older than you and it only gets harder. Last week a four year old child said to me “Miss Debbie, you’re so old!” She pointed to my elbows and said I had old skin like Grandma Gigi. I asked her what she thought of Grandma Gigi and she beamed and said “I love her”. Then she grinned at me and hugged me. I’m at the point now where that doesn’t bother me because I know who I am in Christ. But I still want to live a healthy lifestyle being the best I can be at any age.

Thank you for leading our group Kim and giving me the opportunity to link up each Wednesday.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie

• says

Debbie, I love this story that you shared. Can I just say, as a younger woman who is turning 30 next year, you all are such an encouragement to me in my own journey. To see your beauty in Christ as you face aging with an attitude of health, it helps me to remember to focus on what is really important in life. A relationship with Christ and a relationship with others. Just wanted to share how you lovely women encourage me.

• Kim | Just For Clicks says

Debbie, you are such a great inspiration! Honestly, we should have wrinkles and sags in our 40′s and beyond. And yet that’s somehow gotten to be taboo in our society. I love that little girl’s message to you…. to her your skin reminded her of the beautiful qualities she saw in her grandmother. That’s how I view myself today…. it’s much more important to me that my children see me as someone who possesses the Fruits of the Spirit and as their mother who loves them as much as anyone can… than to see me as someone who values my size so much she allows herself to become overly focused/obsessed. That’s not the legacy I want to leave behind. Perhaps my forced retirement from running was a better plan than my own. :-)

2. says

Kim, you are beautiful inside and out. I love the pictures you have included in this post, and I hope when you look at them you see how beautiful you are in Christ and in general!!! :) I really enjoy the link up that you host and today especially have found much needed encouragement through it. I pray for all of us here the Lord will use our individual journeys to draw us closer to Him and that it will allow us each to bring glory to Him. *hugs*

• Kim | Just For Clicks says

Thank you RaZella! And I join you in praying that we learn from one another and keep our focus on bringing Jesus the glory.

3. Liane R says

Kim, I love this post! I think so many of us struggle with this very thing. I know I do. I’ve lost about 17 lbs. over the last 2-3 months and I feel so much better than I did previously. Yet, I know I still have weight to lose. I know there have been times, in the past, where I have struggled getting ready for social events or trips (you remember…) and not feeling good about what I was wearing, how it fit or how it looked. Instead I need to celebrate who I am, my fantastic life and my health. I’m working on that.

You, my friend, are beautiful~~inside and out!

• Kim | Just For Clicks says

I do remember that Liane! I just experienced the SAME thing as I was packing for our trip to Florida. SO, I went out and bought clothes that fit me and that I felt good in. :-) Thank you for your sweet words Friend! {Hugs}

4. Kelly says

Kim, you are beautiful!! You made me cry. I love that you want to show your baby girl that your body is something to feel blessed about, something that isn’t defined on a scale or on a tag. I think most women struggle to find them selves “ok” with who they are. I am in the season of trying on the “I’m ok” to be this size~this weight. I have some weight to lose before I’m “ok” to call myself healthy. That’s what I want~to be able to say I’m healthy. :)

• Kim | Just For Clicks says

Kelly, YOU are beautiful my Friend! And you look like you are at a perfectly healthy weight. Don’t let the enemy tell you otherwise. It is SO easy for us to look at other women to decide if we are fat or skinny or just right. Especially when the suburbs are FILLED with size 0 or size 2 women walking around in their Lulu outfits with clothes so tight we can see they have no ounce of fat anywhere. But when we look to God to know who we are in Him that’s when we know the truth. And I happen to know that you are blessed with a man who would love you if you weighed 300 pounds or 130 pounds! So look to God and listen to your man when he tells you how you look to him! You are beautiful. Believe it! Seriously. Believe it! It’s true. Just the way you are, you are beautiful already!!! I agree with you for the need to be as healthy as we can be. But I also believe that to be truly healthy we need to have balance. So don’t let the enemy trip you up. Hugs and Love Girlfriend!!!

5. Elizabeth Pergande says

I can relate with you struggle of weight. Being in menopause definitely plays with your metabolism and how your exercise and food intake play into it. I would love to tackle these 5 – 8 pounds that fluctuate on my body but I have come to the realization god loves me at the high and at the low. I just need to understand that I also need to love me at the high and the low too!